Northern Vietnam Adventure, 11 Days, SAVE $279*
What you get...
- 11 day tour departing Hanoi.
- 10 nights accommodation.
- 9 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners.
- Sightseeing and inclusions as per itinerary.
- Services of an Intrepid tour leader.
- Transport by Boat, Overnight sleeper train, Private vehicle.
- WAS $1395* NOW $1116* SAVE $279*.
Hanoi - Hanoi - Sapa - Ha Giang - Dong Van - Bao Lac - Ba Be Lake
Day 1 Hanoi.
Xin chao. Welcome to Vietnam. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask reception where it will take place. We'll be collecting insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so please ensure you bring these details to provide to your leader. The meeting is generally followed by an optional group meal out at one of Hanoi's fantastic eating spots. If you have time before the meeting, head out and discover Hanoi. It's a good idea to take a hotel business card so you can find your way back.
Day 2 Hanoi - Overnight Train.
In the morning, take a half-day tour of Hanoi and its tree-lined streets. Visit the major sights including the Temple of Literature, One Pillar Pagoda and visit the former residence of Vietnam's most famous revolutionary, Ho Chi Minh. Pass by the Hoan Kiem Lake and visit the historic Old Quarter, before moving onto the gatehouse museum of Hoa Lo Prison. Head for lunch at KOTO cafe, which is a project aimed at providing vocational training to underprivileged young people. In the evening, board an overnight train to Sapa (approximately 9 hours).
Day 3 Sapa.
Arriving in Lao Cai in the morning, transfer by road to Sapa. Once there, walk around the foothills and cross an array of rice terraces before strolling across lush tea plantations. Along the way, meet some of the hill-tribe people. Head out on a walking tour of Sapa town and also visit the town's market. This is where you can indulge in some local goods, such as dyed fabrics, hemp plants and handmade textiles. From the market, venture out on a short trek (approximately 2.5 hours) to visit a hill-tribe village called Cat Cat. This is home to the H'mong people, who emigrated from China 300 years ago. In the evening, settle into your hotel in Sapa for the night.
Day 4 Sapa.
Today is a lot more relaxed than yesterday. After breakfast, use your free time exploring Cat Cat and then transfer to the village of Ta Phin in the afternoon. This is a remote village within Sapa where you'll be able to wander around, chat with the locals and learn about their lifestyle. In the evening, head back to the hotel and perhaps have some dinner with the group.
Day 5 Ha Giang.
In the morning, embark on a long bus journey (approximately 7 hours) to the province of Ha Giang. This is a highland region of forests and terraced rice paddies, with the mountains of Heaven's Gate (Quan Ba pass) soaring in the background. The Ha Giang province also shares a border with southern China, and is known as Vietnam's final frontier. After relaxing and getting to know your surrounds, visit the local markets and shop fronts, which are relics of a bygone era. Afterwards venture to the the local museum and explore Cuom Village, witnessing the colourful traditional dress of the local people. The evening is then free to do as you please.
Day 6 Dong Van.
Today, leave for the first of many scenic mountain drives throughout Ha Giang province. Stop to browse Minh Tao Market before wandering through the village of Nam Luong. A visit to Mrs Mai's Responsible Tourism project will be a highlight of the day. Learn about the stories of human trafficking and how the victims/witnesses of this crime found the opportunity of a life free from exploitation here. Afterwards pass through Lung Tam textile village and the Vuong Family Palace in Sa Phin commune, before continuing to Dong Van where you'll spend the night.
Day 7 Dong Van.
After breakfast visit the local market, before setting off on a trekking loop that starts and finishes in Dong Van. The trek (approximately 4 hours in total) is surprisingly moderate and suitable for those with an average fitness level. Wind your way through the spectacular landscape, where you can expect to witness glorious views and capture some amazing pictures of lush valleys and rice paddies. The evening is then free to relax or explore more of Dong Van.
Day 8 Bao Lac.
Drive past terraced rice farms on the road to Bao Lac (approximately 4 hours), a small town in the mountainous region of northern Vietnam. The area is home to the Black Lo Lo ethnic group, who are well known for their colourful attire and finesse in making bronze drums. The bronze drums hold a special place in Lo Lo customs, being used at funerals and important family events. In Lo Lo culture, only the sound of the drums can help the souls of the dead find their way to the birthplace of their ancestors. Stay overnight in Bao Lac and perhaps explore the local marketplace and learn more about this fascinating culture.
Day 9 Ba Be Lake.
Travel on to Ba Be Lake early in the morning (approximately 4 hours). Once there, head down the river by boat on an exploration of Ba Be National Park, visiting the largest natural lake in Vietnam. Disembark for some light walks along the way, visiting the impressive waterfalls that feed the lake and observing the natural flora and fauna. Return to land in the afternoon and head to a local home where you will be sleeping tonight. The family you're staying with will prepare lunch and the rest of the day is then free to explore. In the evening sit down for a delicious dinner with your hosts. This is a great opportunity to gain an insight into their lives and culture.
Day 10 Hanoi.
Head back to Hanoi after breakfast, which should take between four and five hours. Use your free time exploring the boulevards and colonial buildings of the city. If you have time, visit the Hanoi Military Museum or take a look inside the city's spectacular Opera House. For your final evening in Hanoi, perhaps share a final dinner with the group.
Day 11 Hanoi.
Your Northern Vietnam Adventure comes to an end after breakfast, as there are no more activities planned for today. You're free to depart the accommodation at any time.
Top 10 cities for youth travel in 2017
We’ve taken a look at the stats, explored all the lands and have now chosen ten cities emerging in popularity among Student Flights travellers that we predict to keep growing in 2017.
Cross checking a number of different sources from air ticket purchases to accommodation bookings and...
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 January 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..