9 centuries of history

Edinburgh's Holyrood Palace was originally founded as an Augustinian monastery by King David 1st in 1128, and currently holds the distinction of being the Queen’s official Scottish residency. The palace is located at the end of the famous Royal Mile and shares a bumpy past much like Edinburgh Castle.

As a year-round attraction, Holyrood Palace welcomes visitors to cast their eyes upon a program of changing exhibitions from the Royal Collection as well as 14 rooms within the palace, which hold antiques and furniture passed down throughout the ages. When the Queen is in town, the historic apartments are used regularly by her Maj to entertain guests.

Legend has it that King David, one of medieval Scotland’s great monastic patrons, was out hunting in woodland, which once covered the area and was attacked by a stag. After this, a silver cloud containing a cross descended from the sky sending the stag running into the distance. To acknowledge this miracle, King David founded the Holyrood Monastery, which later became an abbey. Holyrood Abbey saw many marriages and accessions, one of which resulted in the break-in of the Royal Coffins when the vault doors were left open. The roof of the abbey also fell into disrepair in 1768 and was left to crumble into the archaic ruins that can be seen today.

The main function that Holyrood Palace is currently used for is official entertaining and state ceremonies, many of which take place during the Queen’s annual Holyrood week running from the end of June through to the start of July.

Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Tell your mates:

   

Facebook comments

round the world