Defying the norm
Eight theatre companies didn’t make the cut for the first-ever Edinburgh Festival back in 1947. So they decided to get together and have their own separate little festival – on the fringe. Fast-forward to 2015 and what was once eight lonely groups has transformed into nearly 50,000 performances across Scotland’s capital of Edinburgh throughout 25 days every August. Bars, churches, schools, all play the part and help transform the city into a performing arts precinct with some 300-event venues hosting performances from all over the world. This is the Edinburgh Festival Fringe we all know and love today; the largest performing arts festival in the world and a very fun and obtainable holiday opportunity for lovers of the arts.
Big names and no names, the reinvention of famous plays and downright unusual new performances, Dutch comedians and Chinese acrobats – a trip to The Fringe can be a totally different experience for each individual who attends. Amongst the brilliant atmosphere and party vibe, you have the opportunity to enjoy some of the world’s best in the areas of comedy, circus, theatre, cabaret, musicals, music, opera and more. From rising stars to comedy pros, a trip to The Fringe would be incomplete without a stand-up show or two or three as part of the Edinburgh Comedy Fest. Some of the boys from Monty Python, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Emma Thompson, Rowan Atkinson, Bill Bailey, Graham Norton and plenty of other famous folks all got their start at The Fringe – who knows what next big talent will be there this year?
When is it?
Tips and tricks
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe is hugely popular. Student Flights can help book transfers, accommodation and other handy things for you well in advance.
- You’re likely to happen across a magical performance or two by chance, but with thousands of events across the city and even more attendees, be sure to check the guide and plan your must-sees.
- Don’t forget the festivals within The Fringe – there’s also the international, international film, book, international art, military tattoo and comedy festivals!
- Shake it up – don’t stick to what you know, try the theatre/music/cabaret as well!
- The Fringe has some of the most talented performing artists from around the world in one place, try one of the many daytime talks and workshops.
Other things to do
Oops, no operators available now
leave us a message and we'll get back to you shortly!
Wanna chat? No time to call but got a burning question?
You can chat with us anytime Mon-Fri between 9:00am and 8:00pm and Sat-Sun between 10:00am and 5:00pm - We'll be here to answer any question you want to throw at us.
We can even book your trip over live chat too if talking over the phone isn't your thing!
YES! WE WILL CALL YOU FOR FREE NOW!
Just key in your contact details and we will call you back instantly for free. Entering your post code allow us to direct the call from the nearest store.
What can we help with?
Leave us your details and we will get back to you with the best deals available tailored just for you
Find a store close to you
We have opened over 70 stores for you to visit all over Australia.
Find one that's convenient.