Bite-size Break Lima
What you get...
- Peruse the stalls of the Surquillo market
Take a walking tour of bustling Barranco
Visit a pisco bodega
Enjoy a Peruvian home-cooked meal
Breakfasts Included: 2
Dinners Included: 1
Hotel (2 nights)
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
Lima - Market Tour & Home-cooked Experience
Lima - Barranco Walk
Lima - Pachacamac Archeological Site
Lima - Pisco Distillery Visit and Tasting
Bienvenidos! Welcome to Lima. Meet your guide in the foyer of your hotel 3.30pm. Please note that you will need to bring your passport and Andean Immigration Card to this meeting, so that your guide can make a copy to comply with Peruvian tax regulations. If you have any issues with the pick-up on Day 1 of this trip, please call the Intrepid office on + (51) 99605 5559. Kick off this Bite-size Break with a tour of Surquillo market to discover the building blocks of Peruvian cuisine. Explore a huge variety of fruits, vegetables, and fiery spices, and maybe make a purchase or two. From aji limo to aji mirasol and aji panca to cumin, plus the wonderful fresh limes, chirimoya, and lucuma fruits, this place really is a feast for your senses. Next, take a city bus to a local family home in the residential neighbourhood of Chorrillos (south of Barranco and Miraflores). Here, the star is Doña Mechita, a caring Peruvian mother and the best cook in her family. She’ll share family recipes that have been passed down through generations. Learn to prepare a classic ceviche, Peru’s national dish, from fresh fish and a delicious mix of limes, onions, coriander, and a few other secret ingredients. You’ll also try a surprising chicha morada. Never heard of it? This purple corn drink is typical of Lima, and the corn is believed to have healing properties. And to round it all out, learn to prepare the perfect pisco sour. Feast on your creations for dinner. Return to your hotel or continue to explore - your guide will have plenty of suggestions for evening activities.
Head out of the city to southern Lima, your first stop is at the archeological site of Pachamac, an important pre-Incan administrative centre. Then visit a pisco distillery. A brandy distilled from wine grapes, pisco is considered the national drink of Peru. Originally developed by Spanish settlers in the 16th century, it is widely believed to have originated from the Peruvian town of Pisco - although its Peruvian origins are hotly contested by nearby Chile, who is also a major producer of the spirit. Go on a grape to glass discovery of what makes the perfect pisco from a passionate local pisco maker. In the early evening, join a walking tour through the bustling, beachside district of Barranco, where streets are lined with traditional casonas (colonial-style houses). Your tour will conclude at approximately 8.00pm in Barranco. Grab a bite to eat in a buzzing restaurant alongside the locals or return to Miraflores. There are no activities planned for Day 3 and you are free to leave at any time.
Summer forecast: sun, surf & adventure
At long last, the uni holidays are here! If you haven’t sold your soul to your retail job for the summer (hey, you gotta eat), perhaps you’ve been saving for some resemblance of a holiday at some point? Chances are you’re looking for an adventure—and ideally one that doesn’t entail a long haul...
Guides to help you along
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 December 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..