Essential Sri Lanka, 11 Days
What you get...
- 11 day tour departing Negombo.
- 10 nights accommodation in a Hotel.
- 9 Breakfasts & 1 Lunch.
- Transport by public bus, train and private vehicle
- Negombo - Fish market.
- Matale - Spice Garden visit.
- Kandy - Scenic train ride to Ella.
- Ella - Trek to Ella Gap & Nine Arch Bridge.
- Yala/Udawalawe National Park - Wildlife safari.
- Galle - Dutch Fort.
- Galle - Walking tour.
- Galle - Scenic train ride to Colombo.
- Colombo - Walking tour.
- Colombo - Guided Market Visit.
Negombo - Kandy - Ella - Tissamaharama - Unawatuna - Colombo
Day 1 Negombo.
Welcome to Negombo, Sri Lanka. There are no activities planned today so you're free to arrive at any time. Your adventure kicks off with a welcome meeting at 6 pm where you'll meet your tour leader and fellow travellers. Although Colombo is the commercial capital and by far the largest city in Sri Lanka, it's still relatively small. You won't be staying in the capital itself, but in a place by the beach. There are plenty of beach bars, pubs and restaurants available close by.
Day 2 Kandy.
Head to the fish market in Negombo this morning. This can be quite an intense affair, but the variety of fish being presented by the locals is a great experience. From here, begin your journey by private vehicle to Kandy and visit a spice garden on the way, which should take around three hours in total (120 kilometres). On arrival to Kandy, there's an optional visit to the Temple of the Tooth (Dalada Maligawa), the most important shrine in the country. It's also worth attending a cultural show while in town, the Kandyan dance performances are awesome. The Royal Botanical Garden is just ten minutes away from your accommodation and there is access to the swimming pool of Kandyan Residencies (next door). Your evening is free to do as you wish.
Day 3 Kandy.
Today is free to explore Kandy. If you didn't visit the Royal Botanical Garden yesterday, then take a stroll around it today. Perhaps organise a day trip to the famous palace of Sigiriya and Dambulla Caves Temple - discovering this magnificent cave complex. The World Heritage listed cave monastery has been a pilgrimage site for 22 centuries and for good reason. If you're feeling a little worse for wear in the afternoon, why not try an Ayurvedic massage to relax those weary muscles?
Day 4 Ella.
This morning, say goodbye to Kandy as you hop on a train for around six hours to Ella. It's a kinda long trip, but you can buy all sorts of yum treats from the onboard sellers. On arrival to Ella, check in to your accommodation which is within walking distance of the station. Once you've dropped off your luggage, perhaps head out for a visit to a local tea factory. If this doesn't take your fancy, go for dinner in one of the many local restaurants and bars.
Day 5 Ella.
Venture out on an included half day trek this morning, then stop for a spicy curry lunch and a pot of Ceylon tea in a local village. This is an awesome way of getting to know the area and a great opportunity to rub shoulders with the locals. In the late afternoon, cool off with a dip in your hotel's pool. Your evening is then free to do what you want.
Day 6 Tissamaharama.
Today is going to be so cool. Head out of Ella in a private vehicle for around three hours to your resort on the edge of Tissa Lake. Once settled, you'll head out on a jeep safari where you'll come across the area's native wildlife such as elephants, leopards and aquatic birds. This is an amazing experience that you'll never forget.
Day 7 Unawatuna.
Journey west in a private vehicle for around three and a half hours to Unawatuna. This fantastic stretch of beach has plenty of local restaurants and bars to relax in. There are no included activities today, so you'll have plenty of free time to explore Unawatuna and its surrounds.
Day 8 Unawatuna.
Life's a beach, so spend the day on one. With a book, cocktail and a bottle of sunscreen. Today is a free day to explore, there are no included activities. Possibly head out on a whale watching tour or take a day trip to visit the Galle Royal Dutch Fort. There is no entry charge for the fort. You'll be staying at a guest house on the beach tonight, so make use of the hundreds of beach restaurants and bars that surround you.
Day 9 Unawatuna.
You have another free day beside the beach today. Take a towel and relax on the beach, sleep in, work on your tan or grab a cocktail under the shade of a restaurant. This is the perfect way to chill out and enjoy the Sri Lankan coast. Otherwise maybe today is the day to pop into Galle for some sightseeing. Walk around the perimeter of the fort, and grab an icy ginger drink in a cafe, then mosey on back to the beach for some more well earned chillaxing.
Day 10 Colombo.
Leave Unawatuna behind and make the short journey to Galle, where you'll jump on a train to Colombo (approximately four hours). On arrival to Sir Lanka's capital, why not head out on an optional city walk with your leader? If you'd rather pick up some last-minute shopping, then pay a visit to the mass amounts of shops that are available. Tonight is free but your leader will suggest a spot for an optional final group dinner.
Day 11 Colombo.
Have string hoppers and a super-black coffee for breakfast, then pull your saddest face as our trip comes to an end.
12 reasons why a cruise holiday is a brilliant idea
Like the idea of wearing a bikini all day long? Enter: the cruise holiday. Think blissful days at sea, sun-kissed beaches and a mega-ship full of non-stop entertainment (it literally barely stops). It’s a party boat extravaganza. Another reason cruising holidays rate? Because you can do it with...
Guides to help you along
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 February 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..