One Week Camping in Iceland, 7 Days
What you get...
- 7 Day tour departing Reykjavik.
- 4 Nights accommodation in a Camping.
- 2 Nights accommodation in a Guesthouse.
- 2 Breakfasts & 1 Dinner.
- Services of a professional and experienced trip leader.
- Transport by Private minibus, 4x4 bus.
- Golden Circle (Strokkur Geyser & Gullfoss Waterfall).
- Thingvellir National Park (Parliament Plains).
- Responsible Travel Tree Planting Activity.
- Dyrholaey & Reynisfjara Rocks.
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall.
- Skogafoss Waterfall.
Reykjavik - Golden Circle - Hvolsvollur Valley - Thorsmork Valley - South Coast - Gerdi - Jokulsarlon - Solheimasandur
Day 1 Reykjavik.
Hallo! Welcome to Iceland. Being so far north on the globe, Reykjavik only gets four hours of sun in winter and 22 in summer - that means a lot of time partying or a lot of time napping in the sun, your call. Maybe check out some of the bars with the group once the welcome meeting is over - the nightlife (or late day life?) here is super impressive.
Day 2 Golden Circle to Hvolsvollur Valley.
Jump out of bed and get ready to follow Iceland's 'Golden Circle' for a day of smooth scenic drives. Arrive at Thingvellir National Park and the Parliament Plains. This is the site of Europe's oldest parliament, founded in 930. If you suss out a big gap of water in the landscape, you're probably looking at the Silfra fissure where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates are slowly ripping apart. Check out the Strokkur Geyser in the Geysir area and you might catch it when it blasts water through the air. Finally, swing by the Gullfoss double waterfall on the Hvita River before setting up camp in the Hvolsvollur Valley. Once settled in lend a hand with the Hvollsvollur tree planting project. Deforestation has had a nasty impact on the island as it's led to serious soil erosion. The locals counter this by planting trees in the surrounding hillsides - Do your bit for the environment and get your hands dirty when you plant your own tree.
Day 3 Thorsmork Valley.
Today disappear into the green and black hills of Thorsmork (Thor's Valley) by public 4x4 bus, crossing many fast flowing rivers. This nature reserve is a favourite with walkers and once you check out the oases and roaring rivers it'll be pretty obvious why people keep coming back.
Day 4 South Coast to Gerdi.
See ya Thorsmork! It's been fun. Return to civilization. En-route to our next overnight destination you'll get to explore Iceland's beautiful south coast. After checking out some beautiful waterfalls, you'll get to see Vik's Black Sand Beach which is literally pitch black - how crazy is that? Zip off to Dyrholaey, known as 'the arch with the hole'. Head to Gerdi for the evening where you'll set up camp for the night.
Day 5 South Coast to Jokulsarlon to Gerdi.
Feeling like you could tackle Europe's biggest icecap? In that case, go for an optional walk on Vatnajokull - you don't really need any special experience to sign up for a glacier walk here so don't let the size scare you. It's kind of sad to think that the glacier is melting away due to rising temperatures - it might not be here in a couple of years. Alternatively you may want to visit Fjallsarlon. If you prefer a relaxing morning you can explore the surroundings of the farmstay and head to the Thorbergur Centre. Later head to the famous glacial lagoon of Jokulsarlon where there's the option of jumping on a boat to sail around the huge icebergs. After exploring this chilly countryside, return to our campsite at Gerdi.
Day 6 Solheimasandur to Reykjavik.
Now it's time to get back to Reykjavik! But not before you have visited the crashed plane that still sits on the Solheimasandur Beach to this day, which you'll get to explore. Now that you've seen the natural side of Iceland, spend the afternoon in Reykjavik at your own pace. Maybe go window-shopping for a few souvenirs, ride a bike along the harbour front or check out some of the local art galleries if you're feeling arty. Want to do something active? You can take a ride on an Icelandic horse or see killer whales on a whale watching expedition. Or while away the hours with a soak in the geothermal waters of the famous Blue Lagoon. Alternatively, there is always the option to knock back a few drinks at one of Reykjavik's quirky bars with your new friends on the last night of this adventure.
Day 7 Reykjavik.
Today marks the end of your Icelandic adventure and you're free to leave at any time. If you would like to extend your stay in Reykjavik we are happy to book additional accommodation for you (subject to availability).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
Best Places To Live Your Best Life
We know you’ve got a ‘Dream Destinations’ collection on your Insta, and if you’re anything like us—a pinterest page and a mood board or two, too! Check out our #livingyourbestlife travel list below and see if your dream destinations, things to do, eat and see line up with some of ours! To help you...