Intrepid Travel has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1989. Back then, who would have known a company that began with two bearded backpackers, a typewriter and a kitchen table would eventually grow into the world's largest small-group adventure tour company, carrying over 100,000 travellers across the globe each year. And although they’re a bit larger these days – with over 1,000 different trips across every continent – our mission remains the same. Intrepid still gets a kick out of responsible travel, small groups and very big adventures.
Why travel with Intrepid?
• Strong commitment to responsible travel
• All tours led by experienced local leaders
• Small groups with an average of 10 travellers
• Tours guaranteed to depart with just 1 passenger
• Exciting range of themed trips – Family, Food, Cycling, Walking & Trekking, Adventure Cruising, Sailing, Polar, Expeditions, Wildlife & Festivals!
With great travel, comes great responsibility
Intrepid is committed not just to treading lightly, but to making a real difference – by investing in local communities, human rights initiatives, wildlife conservation projects and the environment. Intrepid is all about operating in a responsible manner and incorporating principles of sustainable tourism and development into the way they provide their travellers with real life experiences. These values are ingrained in the culture and daily operations of every Intrepid office and trip.
Through the Intrepid Foundation, over $5 million has been invested into grassroots projects around the world – projects addressing issues such as healthcare, education, community development and animal welfare.
Intrepid has led the industry on animal welfare by being the first global tour operator to end elephant rides. They’ve also taken a leadership position on child protection by removing orphanage visits from all itineraries. Intrepid is also committed to promoting gender equality, and are striving to double the number of female leaders by 2020.
Eat, travel and sleep the local way
All Intrepid guides are experts in their destinations. They are passionate about pointing travellers towards hidden secrets most tourists don't get to see and sharing their favourite local foodie spots.
Intrepid believes that getting from A to B should be half the fun of your tour. They often use private transport alternatives, but often include some local transport when it adds to the flavour of the destination.
Accommodation during your Intrepid tour is all about being immersed in the local culture. Whether it's a homestay in a small rural village or a centrally located hotel in the middle of a big city, it will always be an ideal base from which to truly experience the region.
Did you know...
• Intrepid has exciting range of trips designed especially for travellers aged 18-29.
• Intrepid has offices all over the world, including Peru, Iceland & Vietnam!
• As part of their strong commitment to responsible travel, Intrepid has been a carbon-neutral business since 2010.