OFF THE BEATEN TRACK - WORLD FESTIVALS WITH AN EDGE!
This is our second "Off the Beaten Track" post. You can expect regular updates on this topic where we will share stories of places that travellers have been and discovered something that you would not discover in a typical guidebook. Enjoy!
Everyone loves a festival, but if you are well travelled and have been to a few, maybe it's time to get off the beaten track and try baby jumping, tuna tossing or cheese rolling. These are some of the wacky pastimes being celebrated in Europe, the UK, Asia and America.
FIVE OF THE WACKIEST FESTIVALS WE FOUND ARE:
- El Colacho: the Baby-Jumping Festival (Spain), where grown men leap over newborn babies! Donning scary, vaguely Elvis-like costumes and wielding whips and truncheons!
- Hadakamatsuri: The Naked Festival (Japan) Participants wear a loincloth (called fundoshi) with a short happi coat.! Hidden somewhere in the midst of all these men in loincloths is one fully naked man, who brings good lucHoli: the Festival of Colors (India)
- Holi is a popular Hindu spring festival in India, Guyana, and Nepal where locals collaborate on the streets to throw coloured powder and water at each other.
- Cheese Rolling Festival: Cotswolds (England) This goofy cheese-rolling activity is actually very dangerous. Racers zoom down the hill chasing a wheel of cheese. First to the bottom wins the cheese. Police have attempted to ban the event!
- Tunarama: the Tuna Tossing Festival (Australia) The Tunarama festival, held in Port Lincoln on the tip of Eyre Peninsula, Australia Day long weekend in January. The highlight of the festival is the tuna tossing competition.
If you are interested in heading to one of these festivals, Student Flights has cheap flights, round-the-world airfares and accommodation packages for party addicts to embrace in the energy of each festival!
If you would like to read more "off the beaten track" stories, check out or first post on this topic Protest Murals of Clarion Alley San Francisco...
Contact www.studentflights.com.au or to speak to a Student Flights consultant call 1800 046 482.
More like this
More like this
Tips for an epic 2017 Splendour In The Grass road trip
One of the best parts of the Splendour In The Grass festival is always the build up of excitement and anticipation that gets bundled up into the car brimming with too many pillows, sleeping bags and fifty-one outfit options that you and your mates have each brought along.
70 Hot Dogs in 10 Minutes - USA's Best Eating Comps
#Lifegoals right here: people cheering you on as you eat as much as you can with the possibility of a cash prize at the end of a bucket of fried chicken. The USA is the world’s hotspot for competitive eating, a legit sport that has its own administrative league and a calendar of juicy events.