10 signs you've been backpacking in Europe for too long
You can see them coming. Hair pulled back (male and female), non-descript clothing, sturdy shoes or thongs, and a great big backpack attached to their back and a day pack to their front, to leave the hands free to carry a two-litre bottle of water and a passport. Yep, backpackers.
For Aussies who have to travel a huge distance just to get to the next capital city, getting around the compact continent of Europe is a dream come true. Munich one day, Salzburg the next. Island hopping around Greece or eating your way around Italy. Totally doable whether you DIY or do a Topdeck trip. If you’ve ever done the hostel thing or are considering doing the big Europe trip, here’s 10 signs you’ve been backpacking in Europe for too long.
1. You can sleep anywhere. Even on an overnight bus.
2. You’ve got a travel toolkit that MacGyver would be proud of.
3. You’ve thought about whether you could wear those undies again.
4. You’ve met people you can stay with in all corners of the globe and fully intend to take them up on their generous offer. One day.
5. Standards about cleanliness, quality and safety change daily – and are mostly related to how much something costs.
6. You’re a whiz at converting Australian dollars into any currency – your maths teacher would be proud.
7. You spend a lot of time in fast food restaurants, not because you are particularly attached to the menu, but mainly to use the clean toilet facilities (even if you have to pay!) and the free wi-fi.
8. You fantasise about having a safe space to scatter all your worldly belongings then sigh, and repack your backpack and secure it with a padlock and pop it in the hostel locker.
10. You haven’t seen the inside of a gym in months, but can easily carry a 30-plus kilo backpack (the equivalent of two four-year-olds) for hours.
Our tip? Book your Topdeck 2015 Earlybird deal for Europe and save up to $1,300 off your trip. Lay-by your seats now for $200 and pay it all off by January 16, 2015. And bring heaps of clean underwear!
More like this
More like this
70 Hot Dogs in 10 Minutes - USA's Best Eating Comps
#Lifegoals right here: people cheering you on as you eat as much as you can with the possibility of a cash prize at the end of a bucket of fried chicken. The USA is the world’s hotspot for competitive eating, a legit sport that has its own administrative league and a calendar of juicy events.