Eat like a local in London
There are 33 official boroughs and 48 different neighbourhoods in London, each with a vast array of good and not-so-good grub. From pubs to supper clubs, we give you the low down on what and where to eat depending on which part of town you find yourself in, so you don’t needed have a bad meal in Londontown, ever.
While you can pretty much get every multicultural cuisine in Central London, here are a few stand outs!
- Japanese Ramen at Bone Daddies, Soho
- Scandinavian treats at Scandinavian Kitchen, Fitzrovia
- French pastries and tea at London's oldest (and best) patisserie, Maison Bertaux, Soho
- Peruvian Ceviche at Señor Ceviche, Soho
- Beef Pho at Cay Tre, Soho
Is this the oddest Swedish dish? Flygande Jakob - or Flying Jacob. It's chicken, bacon, cream, curry, chili, bananas and peanuts. Together. In the oven. Served with rice. Part of our #stuffwealsoeat season. Verdict: Surprisingly utterly delicious! Anyone else ever had this for dinner? #flygandejakob #swedish #svenskmat #swedishfood #stuffwealsoeat #sverige #flyingjacob #bacon #banana #cream #chicken #ovendishes #weirddishes #heritage #ricedish #recipe #easydinner #chickenleftover A photo posted by Scandinavian Kitchen (@scandikitchen) on
- While an Indian curry on Brick Lane is an experience in and of itself, heading a few blocks over to Whitechapel and queuing for a taste of tandoori at Tayyabs is something you won’t regret. Be sure to order the lamb chops.
- After a night out in Shoreditch, nothing beats a Salt Beef Bagel at Brick Lane Beigel Bake. - Turkish Kebab at Best Kebab, Stoke Newington
– Open 24 hours and recommended by David Schwimmer (no joke, there’s a signed autograph on the wall).
- Full English breakfast at Albion, Shoreditch – Cures all matter of last night shenanigans.
- Classic British fish and chips at Poppies, Spitalfields – Don’t ask for your fish crumbs, you’ll confuse the Brits. Battered is the only style they do, but they do it well.
Never disappoints . #tayyabs #foodandlycra #lambchops A photo posted by Rachel @foodandlycra (@supernoodlerach) on
This kebab shop has got the Ross seal of approval #bestturkish #stokey A photo posted by Ricky Dunlop (@rickydunlop) on
fish and chips #poppiesspitalfields #london #wanderlust #deliciousfood A photo posted by manuela | germany (@fishywave) on
More London love on the blog:
You might be interested to know we've got a Contiki Europe SALE on now! Plus we've got 15% off hop-on hop-off Busabout Europe. Only till the end of March 2016! Don't forget to check out our Black Market flights to London too!
- ALL THE FOODS at Borough Market.
- Caribbean food at Negril, Brixton Hill – Brixton is a vibrant Caribbean and Jamaican enclave, enjoy the food and stay for the markets and sightseeing.
- Custard doughnut at St John, Maltby – These guys perfected the doughnut long before the latest doughnut wave of excitement rolled in. Cannot be beaten.
- Eastern Mediterranean at Ottolenghi, Canonbury – Famous worldwide for his cookbooks, London is the only place you can have chef Ottolenghi's creations cooked for you in his own restaurant.
- Welsh Rarebit at St John, Farringdon – A classic British dish of bread, cheese, butter amazingness, St John’s is boasted to serve ‘the best rarebit in the world’.
- Classic Sunday Roast at the Bull & Last, Hampstead – Sure, there are thousands of pubs in London all serving a decent Sunday Roast, but nothing quite beats taking a walk on the Heath then settling in the afternoon at the pub, by the fire it It’s cold and raining which – let’s fact it – in London, it probably is!
It's not veggie, people. Cauliflower is grilled. With tonnato sauce & walnut salsa. #testkitchen A photo posted by Ottolenghi (@ottolenghi) on
A photo posted by The Bull and Last (@thebullandlast) on
- Grocery shopping at Harrods for a picnic in Hyde Park – British sandwiches paired with crisps (potato chips) are essential.
- Cream Tea at the V&A – one of the most beautiful interiors in London, spend a day at the museum and make a special point to stop for tea and scones before they sell out!
A photo posted by Daniël Stork (@stork19) on
More like this
More like this
70 Hot Dogs in 10 Minutes - USA's Best Eating Comps
#Lifegoals right here: people cheering you on as you eat as much as you can with the possibility of a cash prize at the end of a bucket of fried chicken. The USA is the world’s hotspot for competitive eating, a legit sport that has its own administrative league and a calendar of juicy events.